When you start a journey of self-improvement when it comes to your health and fitness, we can say with 100% certainty that you WILL make mistakes and there will come a time where you need to change your approach…
Even with the best intentions and advice, there will always be an unavoidable pot hole or unexpected outcome that can derail the most well-laid out plans.
You join a gym, start a food plan, see a personal trainer…… then you get injured, lose motivation, cheat on the diet, unexpected travel for work etc…. Sh*t happens!
Fitness and health are moving targets that are never ending. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or endpoint that you’ll reach 🍯🌈
The 5 key concepts to long term success with health and fitness are:
1. Being honest and self-aware. Having the ability to be self-aware of personality traits, motivational drivers, weaknesses and strengths is critical. All too often people “convince themselves” they’re doing the right things to feel better, rather than being objective and honest. Results and numbers don’t lie, look at everything with a fine tooth comb if you’re not moving in the right direction. Don’t assume you’re part of the minority with some sort of hormonal issue or inability to lose weight. Often these are just excuses and you’re not accurately accounting for your energy expenditure vs. energy intake.
2. Open to learning and new concepts. There is no one way that works for everyone, everytime. Each person has a unique set of genetics, personality, likes & dislikes. Learning and exposing yourself to new things will give you greater insights on what is going to work for you. You won’t hit it out of the park everytime. Take a note of what doesn’t work, much like the things that actually work.
3. Measuring. If you’re not assessing, you’re guessing! Knowing your exact numbers is incredibly powerful on seeing what is working and what isn’t. Measure what you’re aiming to improve. If your goal is toning up, then it is imperative you look at body fat % markers, circumference measure and even photos. Same goes with tracking your weight selection – don’t expect to get results or continue on your fat loss journey if you’re doing the same, generic HIIT class or cardio workouts and not gradually increasing your weights, doing more reps or improving in your technique.
4. Seek external feedback and expert help. An experienced practitioner can point out mistakes and shortcuts, that can save a lot of time. Yes, you can learn on your own but speaking with people that have already walked the path you’re attempting to get to is a good idea. These resources can also be a source of inspiration and create no ideas for areas of improvement that you might not have even thought about.
5. Enjoyment. The best diet or form of exercise is the one that gets followed. If you’re following a super strict regime and don’t enjoy it, then chances are you won’t stick with it in the long term. Be a part of something that you can enjoy and see yourself being able to maintain. If you haven’t found it, then keep looking…
P.s. if you’re looking for ways to make LESS mistakes and want a team of coaches who keep you HONEST and ACCOUNTABLE during your workouts PLUS who make it a priority to get you RESULTS and have fun at the same time… then our next Original #6in4Challenge runs monthly in Dubai or you could join and do it online. Comment below or get in contact with us here.